Rio de Janeiro: Versal Editores, 2009. b/w and color plates, facs., ports., tbls., plan., draws., bibl. (p. 457-465), illus. endpapers, color pict d.j., slipcase. OCLC: 535680799. (as new). Item #96305
Detailed, finely printed edition on the history, architecture and religious art of the Franciscan 18th century church and convent of São Francisco da Bahia (historical downtown of Salvador) with it's impressive Portuguese-Brazilian Baroque gilt woodwork art (talha dourada) that makes it a perfect example of the "golden church" (igreja dourada). The temple, built between 1708 and 1723, also houses paintings in illusionistic perspective by José Joaquim da Rocha, along with invaluable sculptures, furniture, carvings and blue-white tile (azulejo) panels created by Bartolomeu Antunes de Jesus and imported from Lisbon, that cover the lower parts of the walls of the main chapel and transept. The publication was the research work of a team of scholars coordinated a by Maria Helena Ochi Flexor, professor at the Federal University of Bahia, and friar Hugo Fragoso, from the Pontifício Ateneo Antoniano of Rome, Italy. The book was the winner of the 4th Edition of the Clarival do Prado Valladares Award sponsored by Odebrecht Group and winner of the 2010 Jabuti Award in the Graphic Design category, Brazil's main bibliographic distinction.